CenturyLink Senior Database Administrator (Oracle, MySQL) in HOME, Japan
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a technology leader delivering hybrid networking, cloud connectivity, and security solutions to customers around the world. Through its extensive global fiber network, CenturyLink provides secure and reliable services to meet the growing digital demands of businesses and consumers. CenturyLink strives to be the trusted connection to the networked world and is focused on delivering technology that enhances the customer experience. Learn more at http://news.centurylink.com/ .
Location (Country): Japan
City/Work Location: Osaka (Home based)
Position Title: Senior Database Engineer
Reporting to: Manager, Japan Hosting Operations Platform
Working Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00an – 6:00pm
24x7 on-call (Mobile phone will be provided by CenturyLink Japan)
Language: Japanese: Native Level preferred
English: Higher Business Level
Position Objective/ Summary:
The Hosting compute department is accountable for all platform and database support for CenturyLink managed hosting Clients, Comprising of Incident Management, Change Management, Request Fulfillment and interacting closely with Problem management.
The Senior Database Engineer will be part of the Global Database Engineering team, which is responsible for all the aspects of database administration on production environments for Japan managed customer. The responsibilities include design and maintenance of database infrastructure and customer environments as part of a managed hosting solution. Daily responsibilities include providing top level escalation support for Japan CTL Hosting Operations Engineers and CTL hosting/Platinum support customers in their Oracle and MySQL DB Environment. He or she will also be responsible for installation, implementing High availability database environments, trouble tickets and troubleshooting of highly critical production environment with 99.99% uptime. He or she will also be involved in database performance tuning, implementing backup solutions and capacity planning. This person will work closely with other DBAs in a global team as well as application, systems operations and engineering teams. The Engineer will be working in majority with Oracle 11g/12c/18c/19c/RAC/DG and MySQL 4.x, 5.x databases on Linux/Solaris/Windows.
The Main Responsibilities
• Deliver superior customer service through professional, comprehensive, and timely communication for all Incidents and Requests for Change
• Ensure timely response, escalation, and resolution to promote the rapid restoration of services for all incidents
• Through review and approval, ensure methodical and successful execution of customer change requests
• Maintain system stability through advanced troubleshooting, timely resolution of customer incidents, and proactive maintenance
• Maintain and improve client loyalty and Net Promoter scores
• Partner with the Account and Sales team and aid in the regular Service Reviews. Work with the Account team to built a strong client relationship and grown revenue
• Communicating and collaborating with local and global teams.
• Pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
• Provide 24x7 escalation supports for Oracle and MySQL environment and for Japan Managed Hosting Customer
• Dispatch to data center or customer site for on-site support if urgent
• Tasks assigned by leaders
What We Look For in a Candidate
• Email and Phone based communications in both Japanese and English
• Reading and Writing in both Japanese and English
• Previous RDBMS support experience in enterprise, IT or service provider environment
• Experience in Oracle Database and MySQL in production environment
• In-depth knowledge of database internals and data structures
• Hands on experience of Oracle and MySQL to:
o Experience in administration for both databases Oracle and MySQL
o Experience in install/create a database which includes Oracle RAC/HA/DG and MySQL Cluster
o Experience in operation/monitoring (Create a script with Shell scripting, SQL, PL/SQL etc)
o Experience in troubleshooting problems, parameter tuning, and SQL tuning for performance improvement
o Experience in database backup and restore (Oracle-RMAN, Begin / End Backup, MySQL Enterprise Backup)
o Experience in hearing and suggesting improvements to managed database customer
o Experience in building and operating database options (encryption products and high-speed processing)
o Experience in I/O performance tuning from an infrastructure, platform and database perspective
• Familiarity with:
o Linux/Unix Systems (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6 and 7, Solaris)
o Knowledge of Shell scripting/Perl/Python/Expect/Power shell and/or other interpreted languages.
o Basic Network (Firewall, Switch, Load Balancer, Security etc)
• Administration of physical Server and Storage systems environments (HP, IBM, SuperMicro etc)
• Administration of virtual environments, especially VMware (VMware, KVM, Oracle VM etc) for enterprise
• Administration of Backup system and Bare Metal Recovery
• Administration of Storage system (IBM, Dell EMC, HPE, NetApp etc)
• A commitment to delivering a superior customer experience through direct interaction with customers during support and change management
• Technical certifications in areas of expertise (Oracle OCP, MySQL Database Administration)
• Ability to quickly adapt to advancing technologies and procedural changes
• Proven incident and problem solving (troubleshooting) skills with an emphasis on a timely resolution
• Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with other technologists and business partners to maintain high service levels in a demanding environment
• Ability to work well in team environment
• Hardware and Software vendor management
• Excellent verbal, written and analytical skills in Japanese and English
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in related fields
• Minimum 6-8 years of experience in related IT Field
Requisition #: 224572
No Discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.