CenturyLink SR ENGINEER - FEDERAL- P9K in DENVER, Colorado
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at http://www.centurylink.com/ is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world’s best networking company by solving customers’ increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers’ trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
CenturyLink is seeking a Senior Engineer with demonstrated architecture and systems engineering to mitigate cyber intrusions onto CenturyLink’s ISP network in support of US Government networks. This is a highly technical and hands-on position requiring the selected candidate to both lead and participate in multiple team environments and to provide independent efforts to all aspects of system integration including design, needs analysis, design review, testing, implementation, and validation. This position will be responsible for systems in support of CenturyLink’s Government and commercial Managed Security Services platforms addressing .gov and critical infrastructure protection missions.
• Work closely with the Government and suppliers on requirements, design, and proposal development. Perform project technology studies, budget estimates, and develop project schedules.
• Provide functional guidance, supervision, technical support, training, and quality assurance/control as required. Provide Tier II support for operational issues and during installation phases.
• Perform site surveys to develop engineering design packages. Reviews and modifies engineering design packages to ensure accuracy.
• Create and review technical documentation. Review all power and HVAC requirements. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Review, analyze, and resolve field construction problems and discrepancies. Coordinate subcontractors, materials inspectors, tools, and equipment to complete projects on schedule and within budget.
• Communicate verbally with construction subcontractors regarding proper procedures for placement of outside cable plant. Provide interpretation of plans, detail sheets, and specification for subcontractors and inspectors.
• Review applications and drawings for right-of-way and construction permits. Perform quality control of drawings and As-Builts prepared by computer-aided design (CAD) personnel.
• Make running line changes in accordance with (IAW) local regulations (e.g., city, county, state, railroads). Analyze Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) traces, evaluate characteristics of the fiber, and document test results. Handle complex engineering assignments and interface with OSP installers, locators, project managers, inspectors, and permit authorities to complete comprehensive packages with sufficient detail to allow future use in the maintenance and new construction activities.
• Review civil engineering plans from developers.
• Engage with the customer and subcontractors to the customer, to facilitate upgrade projects to existing equipment. Create work tickets, required documentation and perform upgrade projects.
• Work closely with Field Operations Personnel (FOPS) to ensure the timely completion of projects.
• Be aware of and responsible to the customer for planned and unplanned work to be done on the CenturyLink fiber backbone. Monitor the progression of resolution of customer-impacting CenturyLink fiber backbone work activities.
• Respond in a timely manner to the customer’s request for information and / or documentation related to equipment maintained or network performance monitored by CenturyLink.
A Bachelor’s Degree and/or Advanced degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science and experience, or a strong interest in, the cybersecurity field.
Demonstrated ability to work in a consultative manner with others, i.e. establish rapport, interview/fact-find, define requirements, present options/recommend solutions, follow-up, and customer focused behavior.
Proven ability to work in a dynamic team environment with changing requirements and competing priorities
Knowledge and experience should include computer network operations, network access and protection techniques and technologies, software coding, encryption, and cross-domain solutions
Available 24/7 for Network Outages and Maintenance window work.
Must be willing to work rotating, on-call, and or work after hours as needed.
Candidate must be a US Citizen with an active DoD TOP SECRET/SCI Level clearance
Alternate Location: US-Colorado-Denver
Requisition # : 217261
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.